Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Emergency is Over

I thought it would be good if I caught you all up a little with what's been going on in our lives as of late. First of all, we are doing great. The Lord has truly been helping us through all of this transition in our lives and has provided very well for our needs. Unfortunately, Dawn has had to pick up more hours at work, but that has been a real blessing as she has been offered different financial "perks" for many of the hours she has worked. To fill you in, we (primarily I) had been leaning toward moving to Nashville to begin a ministry there, but over a period of time and through some doors closing and some opening we have decided that we will stay here in Defiance for a while. See, when I resigned we sort of hit an emergency mode of "ok God, I've resigned now what and where". We've finally settled down a little and began to realize that God is providing and things will be ok and if He wants us to leave then he'll tell us when and where.
So, here's a little picture of what we're gonna do. I've recently gone to a needs center here in town that several different social agencies are located and began asking what need in the community is currently not being met or is in greatest demand. I discovered that short term housing and utility assistance are some of the greatest needs. Short term housing is housing for a day or a couple weeks when someone is either evicted from their apartment or they have recently been ill thus lost their place or maybe they just got out of jail and have nowhere to stay. This area of need was quite surprising to me and ironically fit within the scope of the other aspect of my ministry plans. As you know, I've been rehabbing houses for a few years now and one of the things that I am going to do now is to set up a realestate company that buys, sells, fixes, rents etc. property with the sole purpose of it to finance the ministry. I will be taking all the profits of the company to support the ministry. This business, thus fits very well with the need in our community as I should be able to get some properties that I could use specifically for the need of temporary housing. Out of the ministry, hopefully, we will then birth a community of faith that brings people closer to Christ. It may consist of worship services, teachings and the such, but that will be determined on how the relationships go since that will be the main part of it all. That's the super-short version of what we're doing, but hopefully you get the idea. So, I just signed up for two classes at the local community college to begin my journey toward getting a realestate license. I need four classes and the next two are not offered until the fall. I've also just got a contract on a fixer-upper house that we should be able to turn around for some money and I'm looking at a house with 4 units in it on Friday to possibly buy. We're both pretty excited about what God has for us and possibly some of you. This is an invitation for you to join us in prayer for this ministry and business, as well as, how you might be able to join us. Thanks for all your love and support. If you want further details about all this then you will probably need to call me to get a better understanding.
God Bless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you still can't read my posts....perhaps you need a stronger prescription for your glasses?

Anonymous said...

I was in Colorado this past weekend, and I saw many advertisements for Echo Canyon Whitewater Rafting. It brought back memories of SPY's mission trip to Arizona in 1996. Wow--almost 10 years ago! Thanks for being such an important part of my life and the rest of the lives of that group!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Atlanta. :) I am excited. My roommate from college is moving there and needs a roommate...so I opted to go! I'm a nomad - I can't sit still. I'm going to pursue my MBA and open my own nanny agency. I am so excited! I'm just going to nanny while I go to school. And - I'm a southern belle....seriously. I can't handle midwest anymore! :) LOVE YOU BOTH!

John said...

Hey Scott...You are staying busy these days. I will pray for God's hand in your days of waiting to be evident and abundant. I am going to call you soon. I have missed talking to you. Life has a way of becoming as busy as you will allow it to. Talk to you soon and God bless you and your awesome family.