Friday, November 07, 2008

Conversation, The Lost Art

The invent of the internet has brought about a myriad of social sites such as Facebook, My Space Twitter and You Tube where people interact with quick snippets, punch lines and a never-ending assortment of initials and symbols. :), lol, jk etc. etc. etc. It's as if the whole world has forgotten how to actually have a conversation. In fact, a blog post like this is about the closest one gets to having a real conversation anymore. Which is why most of us wait anxiously for someone to post a comment on what we write.

I don't know about you, but I long for the days when we could sit down and have a real conversation where friends got together and talked about real subjects with real concerns. I long for deep conversations that delve into the depths of a subject rather just bantering back and forth on material that is full of more fluff than substance.

The invent of social media has really been a blessing as it has allowed people to keep a glimpse of the lives of friends and family from large distances, but it has so simplified the relationships that it seems to have been a replacement for meaningful ones that are full of real questions that ask more than "how are you" and statements like "hope all is well". Both are good, but can never really be addressed well through a quick note on Facebook.

The Lord has designed each of us to long for real relationships. Of which, I have been blessed abundantly over an over with. It is because of these relationships that I am where I am in life right now as many have guided me and assisted me on my journey. But, it's also because of these relationships that I long for more. I long for more imput. I long for long conversations and I long for real conversations.

3 comments:

jonathandy said...

Scott Lee and I have this thing about accidental typos during instant messaging or texting or whatever. Something in college sparked it off when a friend signed off i.m. with "I'm going to go each" instead of "I'm going to go eat". That one phrase turned in to weeks of laughter (and taunting), and eventually, a serious fear of accidental mistypes amongst our friends. Scott knows that the moment he puts the wrong word in the wrong phrase on a text, or I know that when I leave out a word or double up on a vowel, that our mistype will quickly be brought to light in a hillarious manner. I invite you in to one of our many stupid inside jokes this week.

Your "imput" is appreciated. Lol!

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you Scott.

Brook said...

sorry, your post was too long to read..hope all is well :)