Sunday, August 27, 2006

Rob Bell Question

Here's a question that Rob Bell posed in a recent interview (it's not a direct quote).

Who, outside of those attending your church, in your community would be upset if your church closed it's doors today. Would anyone in your community be affected and would it make any difference in their lives if your church no longer existed?

Mull over that and respond if you want. I have some thoughts that I'll share in my next post.

2 comments:

Joyce Collins said...

That is an interesting question. My first thought was, "the banker".
That comes from the fact that the banker was a guest at our church yesterday to help us celebrate our ground breaking. Actually, I think it is rather sad that that would be the first person I would think of!!!!! I have not gone to my new church long enough to know how the community is affected by it. However, there are some young people for whom I have been praying for for the past 8 1/2 years without seeing much response. Recently there has been a change. Some of the children were saved at camp this summer and came home insisting they were to go to church. They made friends with kids from my church because I housed them with the kids from my church. It was a delight to have six of my "Bryan Buddies" sitting with me at church. Four of them really like the church. The other two came for the first time so I don't know what they think. In addition to the six adults, four children are coming.
Two young ladies who attended New Beginnings before their rebellious dayssome 14 or 15 years ago, are going to come back now that they have heard that these others are coming!
The fifth grade son who was saved at camp was picked up on Friday by his step-mom to come and spend the weekend with Dad. She asked him how school went. He answered, "Great, I talked two kids into believing in God!" What is so cool is to hear these parents excited about what their son is doing! TO GOD BE THE GLORY!
Oh yea, I am supposed to answering a question here...right now, I believe my "Bryan Buddies" would be very sad to see the doors of our church close. Can you imagine the conversations going on at their weekend gatherings with all their friends these days! I am sure it is very different than conversations a month ago!

Joyce Collins said...

This question continues to "haunt" me. I have been thinking about the many families who came to our church across the years, and then dropped out. When crisis came to their lives...they knew where to come! So, if that church were to shut down...could those un-churced families who grew in confidence in our church start over some place else. Should a church ever close its doors?