Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Church of Money

I want to continue with the direction I started in the previous two posts so here are some thoughts I recently have had.

One of the greatest challenges that the church faces on a daily basis is what to do with the money it gets. How is it used and to what extent is it used for ministry purposes? I think of the “rich young ruler” who approached Jesus and asked what seemed a simple question of what he must do to inherit eternal life. Jesus responded and told him to follow the commandments. The man replied and said he has done that since he was a child, then Jesus’ response drove him away. You lack one thing, he said, go and sell all you have and give it to the poor. It’s a message that has haunted the church for hundreds of years now. What must we do to inherit eternal life Jesus? I believe he’s let go of what you have and give it to the poor, the oppressed, the widow and the orphan. It’s a message that has been lost in the desire for bigger and better. We spend millions on buildings, salaries and utilities while we spend only pennies on those who are in need. Our programs are even drained of their finances to feed the monsters that we have created. We often tell those who are attending our services each and every week that they need to be good stewards of the resources that God has given them, yet our churches are rarely good stewards with what is given. Each and every year around Christmas we are reminded to check out those institutions that are clamoring for our donations to determine how much of our money is actually going into the lives of those of whom it is designed to touch. We are skeptical of institutions that spend more than fifty percent of the donations on salaries and overhead expenses. Yet, if we were to take a close look at the percentage of the money spent at our local church we would be appalled at the amount of money that is consumed by the mortgage, utilities, denominational budgets, and salaries in comparison to how much is spent in the different ministry arms of the church which is directly impacting lives. I would venture to guess that it is far less than twenty-five percent of the total income for the vast majority of churches. If we didn’t feel obligated to bring our tithe and our offerings to the church, I doubt we could in good conscious give to such a cause. I am not saying that we should not tithe or give offerings, nor am I saying that buildings and salaries are wrong, but what I am suggesting is that we begin to change the percentages of what is staying “in-house” and what is going out. I, personally, would not have a problem with seventy-five percent of the tithes and offerings that I give to go to those areas and people of whom we are trying to meet with the reality of Christ, and twenty-five percent paying for overhead. I enjoy and depend upon our pastoral staff and the buildings we have to execute our ministry through and understand the necessity for them. Several problems arise, however, when we are so dependent upon the finances to pay the “bills” per se. First, the pastor is limited by what is said or done in the name of Christ. If, for instance, the pastor has felt directed to preach a certain direction or deal with certain issues in the church, but knows that in doing so, some people will withhold their offerings or leave, the pastor may be reluctant to head that direction, because the bills will need to be paid. I cannot count how little, we've in the church, have done to keep people accountable for things that should not be happening because we knew in the back of our minds how that would affect the church financially. (God forgive me) Another problem arises when a ministry needs funds to operate yet finds itself closed off to those funds because to fund that program or ministry would jeopardize the fiscal responsibilities that have been committed to set bills. While on staff at my last church all ministry branches were on a spending freeze for the past two years so we could pay the bills. A third problem that tends to arise out of this scenario is the body’s dependence upon the paid staff to be the spiritual ones in the church who are responsible for the care of the whole body rather than being one part of many in the body. I don't know how often I heard people upset because the pastor didn't make it to the hospital to see someone before their surgery or something like that. The people failed to realize that neither did anyone else in the church. (God forgive us all)

Now critics would argue that the buildings and the bills are a part of the ministry, in which they would have a valid point, but with only limited validity. As I eluded to above, I believe that we enable our pastors to “minister” to the people because they are paid through our tithes and offerings. This is how I made my living for the past 10 years or so and I am very thankful that I was allowed to minister to those of whom I was responsible for more freely because of my weekly paycheck. I also believe the resources that are at the disposal of those trying to minister, ie buildings, books etc. help create new avenues for people to grow in Christ. However, much of what is done in the name of ministry in both of these scenarios could also be done through other means. An example that I personally know of is a local church that is in the process of raising funds to build an extension. The extension would be a gymnasium, classrooms and storage. The have raised $300,000 in cash and pledges, but the project will cost $500,000 to $600,000. Across the yard and directly behind the parsonage is a building that has been offered to the church for $200,000 which includes the land that goes with it. The large building is in terrific shape and could easily be converted into a gymnasium, classrooms and whatever else they could dream of. And have it all paid for. But, they are going to build anyway because they don’t want to have to walk or drive the distance between the buildings. In doing so, they will have to take out loans and account for overruns. I guess my thought is if they really wanted to take out an additional $200,000 for something worthwhile they could really create a great food pantry, shelter home, or senior’s center. Think how many meals could be served with that kind of money and in the little town that this church is in, it could probably eradicate the hunger problem there for the next few years. Instead they want to make a $2,000 payment each month for the next 30 years. Even that would be $24,000 a year toward a worthwhile ministry. What youth ministry couldn’t use that kind of budget?(If you haven’t added that up yet, that equals $720,000 over the life of the loan compared to the original $200,000 that was taken out)

Anyway, my argument is simple; money rules the church when Christ should. It dictates almost every aspect of the church. We may want to believe something different, but our church treasurers can tell us differently. If you don’t believe me, how long would your church survive if your attendance dropped in half if that represented half the finances and what would be cut from the annual budget first, the mortgage, the electricity, the pastor’s salary, the denominational budgets or the ministry to the people? I know the answer. Do you?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are good thoughts. I agree that the church has serious problems with how it spends money. We had many frustrations at the church that we were youth pastoring at. They were in the red the whole year we were there, yet we were still spending money on silly things (random parties, Christmas gifts for board members).
Plus we had a decent size building and a lot of land that our congregation of 60-70 was only using around 3 times a week. Why not sell the land? Meet in homes, because I can tell you right now, that neighborhood wouldn't have missed us. I don't know, it's probably not as easy as it sounds, but we have so many ideas of what "church" is supposed to look like, and in the process of trying to make it look that way, we're wasting a lot of time, a lot of money, and missing out on helping a lot of people in need.
One of the most irritating things that happened at the church we were at was an "issue" that was brought before the board. The pastor's daughter and her husband got paid around $50 per week to clean the church, and another young woman in the church (single mom w/ 3 kids) asked her once if she could do the job (not take over, just a one time thing). So the pastor's daughter brings it in front of the board and the board proceeds to badmouth the single mom for trying to take the cleaning job. They were like, this is Blake and Lisa’s job…it just won’t work for Lilly to do it and get the money. For Social Security reasons…blah blah blah. They acted so annoyed that she wanted to do it, and said it wouldn't be a possibility.
Ben and I were just sitting there like, HELLO!! This is a need. Right here in front of our faces. Here is a woman in our church who is so desperate to make ends meet, that she’ll ask her friends if she can do their job and all we can do is bad mouth her? It made me sad.
I don't know, maybe I need to quit whining and do something.

Anonymous said...

I forgot the other thought that came into my mind.
What about having more bivocational pastors? I think that would help alleviate some financial strain that the church has, and free up money for other things.
I know that I have never been a pastor, nor been in the family of a pastor, but couldn't this be a possibility?
I know there are churches where the pastor (or associates) have been forced to have other part time jobs, but what if a pastor volunteered to do this? I think that would speak volumes.

Joyce Collins said...

Lori,
It is sad to hear about your expeirences! We teach our young ones about how Christians are to live and then send them out in ministry and this is what they see! So sad.
Bi-vocational pastors? Some have been voted out for doing such a thing!!!!! Maybe we need your concept passed on to those who are "large and in charge"!!!!!!

jonathandy said...

hmmmmmm. As with most spiritual issues, I believe there are deeper reasons behind all the mess. I don't want to be too harsh on certain churches or denominations, but I'm just going to shoot it straight here, a.k.a. harsh, but I trust it will be long enough that only my mom and Scott will read it. :)

1. The pursuit of ministry without the genuine pursuit of God. In all honesty, that's my generalized perspective of most denominational ministry that I have ever encountered, including my college ministerial training.

2. Wimpy preachers who are scared to bring truth. The Bible commands tithing. Either choose to obey your Word and be a part of the body of Christ or don't. If your in disobedience, you aren't blessable anyway, so why ever expect to get out of your financial problems. I'd rather have five obedient Christians than a sanctuary full of people who are jepordizing their salvation and blocking the blessing of God. I guess that gets in to theological stuff as well, but in my perspective, chosen, continual disobedience cannot allow you in to heaven. It's quite simple and quite clear in scripture. The people will rise to the standard set before them... or leave. Both of which are better than luke warm.

3. Those in paid leadership probably came in to the ministry with a perspective of it being their "occupation". They got that from those that have gone before as well as through the schools they were prepared in. From the get-go, they have a skewed perception on God,finances, and the ministry. They have allowed the people, the church, and tradition to form their perspectives of how money and faith work.

Another question to chew on: would you, or your pastor be as passionate about ministering the Gospel if they lost their paycheck and pastoral title? For the most part, from what I've seen, the lack of title and paycheck creates a lack of passion to minister. The truth is we are all held accountable to those all too common words at the end of the Gospels, "Preach the Gospel...Make disciples." We have no concept at all, as a church, what kind of a mission we signed up for. Christ told us to count the cost. Most of us are bankrupt and won't realize it until judgement day.

Maybe I'm beginning to ramble. I guess what I'm trying to say is this. Money is only a major issue because it's one of the only measurable problems in the church. The true issue is whether or not we have truly denied ourselves and have decided to obey the Word of God. Most of the church comes up short on that, but it isn't outwardly measurable.

Before looking at depressing dollar numbers, look at the more depressing "obedience" numbers. The percentage of members who tithe is way more depressing than the bills that are stacking up.

Lastly I will add this: There are four churches that I have been involved with that operate by faith, preach and expect obedience to the financial part of the Word of God, and understand prosperity with a purpose. Of those four, all four have money in the bank, all four give tens and hundreds of thousands in "benevolence" back to the community annually, all four have many successful business owners who weren't in that position until they obeyed Biblical finances taught through bold preaching, and all four are outgrowing their buildings (which means Truth isn't scaring people away after all.)

that's all for now...

Scott Williams said...

Lori,
You asked about bi-vocational pastors. Great idea, I wish I would have thought about that:). Seriously, as a pastor, I did the part time thing and it was difficult, but primarily because of the expectations of the church leadership. They expected certain things that had to be done in addition to the work. If, on the other hand, the leadership could/would view the "other job" as ministry or ministry opportunity, then it would work well. If the Body of Christ would learn to function like it's supposed to then that would be much easier and better. It's what I'm aiming for personally.

Scott Williams said...

JC,
"The pursuit of ministry without the genuine pursuit of God. In all honesty, that's my generalized perspective of most denominational ministry that I have ever encountered, including my college ministerial training."

Is this generalization (which of course are allowed here) specific to denomoninations or to the vast majority of churches in North America, including independents and "non-denominational"? My guess is that it's the majority and it just more evident in the denominations since they are all attached. If we just simply look at stats to try and make this point (though I'm not sure it does adequately) of the 10% of the growing churches in America only 1% is growing by people coming to Christ. Thus, 90% are pursuing something, who knows what, and not growing, 9% are ministering to people outside of their church, but rather in other churches, and 1% are pursuing God and his children. If you can follow that logic then you can see that it's not a "denominational" thing it's a Christ pursuit thing. I will say this though. Independents have a ton more freedom to pursue God than those in the confines of a denomonation.

Scott Williams said...

JC,

Had to respond to this as well. "would you, or your pastor be as passionate about ministering the Gospel if they lost their paycheck and pastoral title?"

Yes, I am.

jonathandy said...

Scott,

I felt free to ask the "would you still minister" question because I know (first hand) that you are faithful to the call, not the occupation. It was the first question asked of me straight out of college as I sought a ministerial position at a nondenomination church. It slammed me in the face then, it is my adjusted mindset now. I hope my hypothetical question didn't come across as personal.

p.s. I'm due for a good Scott Williams phone chat. I'll try you saturday or sunday. ;)

Scott Williams said...

JC,
No offense taken. I didn't take it personally. I guess I was just reaffirming it to myself.

Scott,
Good question.

Joyce Collins said...

Since we are dealing with two Scotts here... I take the freedom to address Scottie :?) here.
I like your change of the haunting question! Before living in Lee's Summit we lived in Raytown and then Independence. Both places "provided" neighbors that consumed my time. When I moved here I "protected" myself by being a friendly neighbor...but not a FRIENDly neighbor. The Holy Spirit used A sermon Pastor Dan preached recently to convict me of that attitude, thus I added my neighbors to my prayer list. (Good thing after 20 years!) It has been interesting to see and wonder about this huge arbor Gary has been building and the neighbors who have never been in my back yard are now coming to see the arbor. As I stand and talk to them I wonder if it is Father's response to my prayers that I be used by Him to draw my neighbors. My husbands creativity used to answer a prayer?!?!?!?!?

Oh, and Jonathan...I did read all the way through your comment!

Joyce Collins said...

Umm...Scotty! Sorry about that! :?>

Amy Nelson said...

Here's my comment - I MISS YOU!!!! :)