Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm Wondering

It's been a month since I last posted on this blog. Sorry for those who may have been searching for something new. I had a Dr.'s appointment today, and as I knew, he told me I was overweight and had high cholesterol. (Duh!). But, my wondering tonight is why it's so hard to do the things we know we ought to do like exercise and eat right. I guess it's easier to avoid them and I guess it's just habits. We all have them. Some good and some bad. Why is it we choose the habits we have? Why do some people bite their nails and others don't? Is it really easier to bite them than not? It's an interesting human condition that we all have to fight through. Well, I'm hoping to change some of my habits starting tonight as I need to lose 35 pounds and get my cholesterol under control. If you think about it pray, not that I lose the weight, but that I change my habits. If I do that the weight won't even be an issue.

3 comments:

James said...

I was totally biting my nails as I was reading your post. Ha! I don't even try to stop. I am afraid of pretty nails. Biting them only makes me tougher!

jonathandy said...

I think a lot of it comes down to how convinced we are that something really is important or effective. From prayer to dieting, we tend to engage in something only when we are convinced great harm will come if we don't (the survival instinct). Jeremy and I both have realized that we don't eat healthy and stay fit because it's 'right' or even because it's healthy. We do so because we remember how we feel when we don't. Junk food has an almost perfect correlation with sin. It satisfies the immediate craving, convinces you that your need has been met, but has no lasting value at all and will eventually bring about your destruction. Eating healthy elevates me so much better not only on the physical level, but the spiritual as well. The same is true with a little bit of fitness.

I am currently on what is called the "Hunter/Gatherer" menu and have never been more pleased. The mentality is to look at everything you eat and determine whether you could have hunted or farmed what you are eating. If not, it was probably never intended to go inside of you. I'm not perfect with it, but it is my daily guideline and I've never performed with more sustaining energy in life. You could probably sum up 80% of my diet with the following:

fruits/vegs.
lean meats/eggs
beans
nuts/seeds

(here's some inspiration for you:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iUvjXQHt6QQ)

The best nutritional megasite I've ever found is www.mercola.com It's continually trustworthy and is loaded with any info you need

And I hate to say it, but in my opinion the fitness option for adults would be something like pilates (or the freaked out version - crossfit.com). Jogging and walking is so limited in movement and targetted muscle groups. I would encourage you to attempt things that require full range of motion of your joints mixed with full stretching of your muscles and require a healthy elevation in heart rate. With a little creativity, the weightroom can be waaaay more effective for you than the treadmill. We can talk more later if you want.

jonathandy said...

obtw- I sent my phone through the washer. I tried returning your call but the number says it's out of service. Try me again wed. or thurs. morning.